Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an aluminum road bike frame that I want to use to build a fixed gear. My problem with this frame is that it has vertical drop out and no derailleur hanger. Fr

share|improve this question
Yep, you'd have to find a skilled frame builder. – Daniel R Hicks Nov 9 '12 at 23:48

You don't necessarily need horizontal drop-outs to make a fixie. You could also get an eccentric hub such as this one. This allows the chain slack to be taken up without using horizontal drop outs. They also have eccentric bottom brackets but I think they require a special frame.

share|improve this answer
I've always figured that a fixie required an eccentric bike builder. – Daniel R Hicks Nov 10 '12 at 1:20
Just get a standard chain tensioner if you're gonna do that – hillsons Nov 10 '12 at 3:37
Sheldon quoth thou shouldst not use chain tensioners with fixed gear (single speed free OK, but not single speed fixed): – Jon S Nov 10 '12 at 4:02
@hillsons As JonS mentioned, you can't use a chain tensioner with a fixie. And you don't need one with an eccentric hub or bottom bracket. The eccentricity of the hub is what tensions the chain. – jimirings Nov 10 '12 at 21:27

You would have to go to someone that knows how to weld aluminum to weld you on a new dropout. I don't think you want to do that. It would be cheaper to find a frame / entire bike designed to be a single speed in the first place.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.