Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've got an old school puncture repair kit, the type with glue and patches.

As well as the sandpaper, patches, 'vulcanizing fluid' and instructions, there is a 2.5cm long, 3mm wide, beige rubber tube.

What's it for?

(it doesn't seem to appear in the pictorial instructions)

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

It is the Dunlop valve, it was used a lot in Holland, UK, etc. You can see it in action here:

But currently it is replace by the Blitz:
alt text

share|improve this answer

They are for old "Dunlop" or "Woods" valves, that were halfway in size between a presta & schrader valve. Just inside the cap (that you could screw off) was the rubber tube that acted as the valve. If it split or broke (usually when the rubber perished) you could replace it and be on your way again.
We have Dunlop valves described in the Terminology Index, and you can find more out at Wikipedia.

share|improve this answer

Sounds like extra material for the type of valves that aren't Presta- and not "car-like"- (Schrader) either - Dunlop valves. They use a short piece of rubber tube to seal.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.