Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can I use aluminium rim cement for patching flat tire instead of using rubber cement?

share|improve this question
I doubt if it would work very well. – Daniel R Hicks May 24 '13 at 14:06
up vote 3 down vote accepted

No. For patching punctured innertubes, you must use vulcanizing rubber cement. Vulcanization which crosslinks the polymers in the tube with those in the patch. Most types of rubber cement, which are used for crafts, are not vulcanizing. Aluminum rim cement is designed to bond aluminum, not to vulcanize rubber.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.