Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I could really could do with a hand here, I'm currently restoring a old Raleigh Milk Race bike which has friction tube shifters fitted. I want to upgrade the rear derailleur but I'm not sure if I have to buy a certain type. It has a SunRace one fitted, and the front one is a Shimano one.

The bike is a 7 speed.

share|improve this question
What year is the bike? If memory serves the milk race ran from time immemorial until sometime around 2004, so you're looking at a wide range of different technologies to be compatible with. – user973810 May 28 '13 at 18:07
If it's not indexed shift you basically just need a derailer with enough tooth capacity. IIRC, 7 speed of that era used a slightly narrower chain than 5/6, but not enough to upset the derailer. – Daniel R Hicks May 28 '13 at 21:55

Almost any rear derailleur will do. You aren't limited by the shifters (since they're friction shifters, they have no index incompatabilities) and it's a 7 speed, so anything that is rated for 6, 7, or 8 speed will work fine. Go to a local shop that sells used parts or a local community group and take a look at what they have in their parts bin.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.