Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking to replace my current drop bars. I like the width just fine and would like to get a new set that is the same width (or at least close to it).

How is the width measured? Is it the overall outer width? The width between the center of the bar ends? The width between the inner edges of the bar ends? The width of the flats up until the curve? Something completely different?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

The most common measurement I've seen is c-c (centre to centre), the distance between the two horizontal tops of the drops, running parallel with the stem and behind the hoods.

If that doesn't make sense, see the following image. Bar size explanation. Image credit

However, you're right to check this as not everyone does it this way. The internal or external sizes might also be interesting if you're wondering how much space the bike will take to store or what size bar bag might fit between them.

share|improve this answer
I'd add that you don't necessarily want to match the width of your shoulders to the width of the bars. Find the bar width that is most comfortable for you in your primary riding position (usually on the hoods for road and in the drops for track). – Ken Hiatt Jul 23 '13 at 16:38
@KenHiatt. Agreed, comfort is the aim, but shoulder-width is a reasonable place to start. – James Bradbury Jul 24 '13 at 8:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.