Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 5 speed freewheel that I need to take of from hub, but the standard freewheel tool that I do have does not fit.

On the freewheel following text is engraved:


It seems to me that tool would need to have 12 splines.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
There is no such thing as a "standard freewheel tool" - there are a half-dozen different schemes, and a similar number for more modern "freehubs". But that appears to be a standard Shimano unit, a Park FR-1. – Daniel R Hicks Aug 1 '13 at 23:58
I have freewheel tool that came as part of toolkit, and is intended for standard Shimano freewheels, but this freewheel has smaller inner diameter by millimeter or two, and tool does not fit in. So I am looking for tool for this particular freewheel, since generic Shimano one does not fit. – Davorin Ruševljan Aug 2 '13 at 7:45
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I found a bunch of forum posts from people with similar problems. Shimano freewheels made prior to about 1985 have smaller diameters, about 20mm instead of 22-23mm that they have today.

A search for "Shimano freewheel remover 20mm" brings up some useful results. It looks like Bicycle Research Tools makes a remover called the CT-4 which is designed for older Shimano freeheels.

Good Luck!

share|improve this answer
Welcome to Bicycles SE. We prefer that answer posts be self-contained on this site. Please consider editing in a summary of the information provided in the links that you gave. That way, the post is still useful if the links die. – jimirings Aug 8 '13 at 2:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.