Been running a set of quite nice slicks at 120-140 PSI for a couple of months. Might have done 400-600 km on the bike in that time. Tonight the rear tire exploded while the bike was sitting in my entryway. It's split right along the seam, with a roughly 2 inch long gap. Very loud bang etc.
Before I go out and buy another $70 tire, I want to get an idea of what caused this. Some possibilities that I've thought of include:
- Running the tire at 140 PSI. The tire is rated to that pressure, but maybe this is still too much?
- Some brief stretches of gravel road (1-2km) I did on it last weekend. The bike seemed fine then however.
- There is a central heating/cooling vent directly adjacent to where the bike is stored. Perhaps the changes in temperature were enough to damage the tire?
- The roads in this area are not always very good. Maybe this is just the result of accumulated damage from dozens of minor nicks and bumps?
- The tire could be defective.
Edit: added a picture. Looks like the tube has a ~1cm hole in it.