Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Shimano RD-M510 rear derailleur that needs both jockey wheels replaced. Were can I find them for this older unit? Jerry

share|improve this question

closed as too broad by jimirings, amcnabb, freiheit Oct 27 '13 at 5:41

There are either too many possible answers, or good answers would be too long for this format. Please add details to narrow the answer set or to isolate an issue that can be answered in a few paragraphs.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I can't see why generic 11T jockey wheels wouldn't work. Don't forget to loctite the threads when rebuilding the cage. – moshbear Oct 9 '13 at 23:36

The compatible part is SHIMANO RD 5700 and the part number is 5XH9812. The set come as a pair and is available at a number of places such as Chain Reaction Cycles and Wiggle.

The only thing to ensure if using generics is that they are the right chain size.

share|improve this answer

Tacx manufactures some great jockey wheels which are compatible with Shimano/Sram/Campagnolo products. Search for "Tacx Jockey Wheels" in your favourite online bike shop.

They come with cartridge bearings which work great before you use them in muddy conditions (MTB, CX). After these heavy conditions I have found then to lock up.

In case of a road bike, I would totally reccomend them, the difference when spinngin pedals backwards is noticable.

share|improve this answer

Most on line retailers Chainreaction cycles, BlueSky cycles, Excel Sports carry them. Your LBS should also be able to get them if they don't stock them. They may be called derailleur pulleys or jockey wheels. You want to measure the wheel width and tooth count if you are using something other than an exact replacement from Shimano. The top and bottom wheels are generally not interchangeable so make sure you order the correct ones if they are available as separate pieces.

share|improve this answer

Shimano provides the following parts list for the RD-M510 (

Y-5UN 98060 Guide Pulley

Y-5UN 98070 Tension Pulley

You can take this sheet to your LBS and get them to order it for you.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.