Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am having trouble identifying what tools I need to pump these tires.

We bought some kind of kit that came with multiple attachments and none of them worked. Wondering if something is missing?

All I've ever used before is a presta valve so I am not too well versed in this stuff. Thanks for your help!

enter image description here

share|improve this question
That sure looks like a schraeder valve to me. You're sure the pump head is set up correctly? – WTHarper Jan 23 '14 at 19:36
It's regular schraedder valve. What exactly the problem? The pump do not attaches to valve? Or after pumping the air is runs out? – Alexander Jan 23 '14 at 20:16
Aaand of course, I meant to write Presta. But now I know it's a schraeder, so thanks! – src Jan 23 '14 at 20:39
I know that there are attachments from schrader pumps to presta valves, but I never seen a vise versa attachment. – Alexander Jan 23 '14 at 21:21
The vice versa case practically never occurs - typically you have a schrader pump (everyone has one, for their car or most foot pumps for pumping up balls and stuff and most modern cycling pumps do both) and want to pump something with presta (so you get a presta to schrader adapter), but Silca 2220 is one adapter that does the reverse case (scrhader to presta). – Batman Jan 23 '14 at 23:59
up vote 1 down vote accepted

This is a regular Schrader valve like you will find on many car tires. Your pump (if it is a bike pump) should have something to pump this up.

If in doubt, head to your local service station and try their car pump. Alternatively, hit up a bike store, they should be able to get air in that for you!

share|improve this answer
Using a car pump on a bike is dangerous - car pumps are designed to deliver large volumes of air relative to a bike tire (given how big car tires are), and can't necessarily control pressures around what some tires should be run at. But pretty much anyone who has kids should have a schrader valve pump since they're typically used with a needle adapter to pump up balls and stuff. – Batman Feb 2 '14 at 1:20
@Batman very good point, I had not thought of that - I always manage to just gently squeeze the trigger to get less air at once. – LucasS Feb 6 '14 at 22:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.