Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Some properties:

  1. it is good to have it plastic so it won't break the inner tire
  2. it is size is about 10cm*2cm*0.5cm at maximum, a small thing
  3. you will attach them to spokes so you can change tire
  4. you usually need them two pcs

Since I miss it, I work with spoons to remove tires but I really need the item. So I am just looking for the word of the tool to buy them from Ebay or some other shop online.

Please, create a label 'definition question' or equivalent.

share|improve this question
Perhaps the terminology tag is the one you were looking for? – zigdon Nov 1 '10 at 7:31
Agreed plastic on the outside, but metal cores are good if you have tight tires, otherwise cheaper plastic ones will snap in half and then you're SOL. – Chinasaur Jan 19 '11 at 11:21
Chinasaur: What is "SOL", lost? How do you know you have tight tires? Where can you get tyre levers as plastic-outside-and-metal-cores? – user652 Feb 5 '11 at 23:54
"SOL" means "Sh*t Out of Luck", as in you are in a very bad situation. – Jason Plank Feb 6 '11 at 4:29
up vote 15 down vote accepted

Tyre lever (in the UK anyway - WP redirects that to tire iron but to me that sounds more like metal fatigue. After all, they're not made of iron).

share|improve this answer
Same name in the states, with the American spelling for Tire :) – zigdon Nov 1 '10 at 7:31
And the wrong pronunciation of "lever" – mgb Dec 28 '10 at 18:33

There is now an entry in the Terminology Index for tire levers.

share|improve this answer
Not really an answer; this is more of a comment. (Nice entry in the index, BTW.) – Neil Fein Nov 2 '10 at 14:56

Yep. Tire levers in the U.S. Pedro's are the best.

share|improve this answer

I actually call these devices, tire irons, but I have also heard them called tire levers. Don't use a screwdriver!

share|improve this answer
Remember when you were a kid and you used spoons - then got told off when you bent them ? – mgb Dec 28 '10 at 18:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.