Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I picked up a near new Dawes Galaxy that had been in storage for 8 years. I'm super excited to get on a tour. I have both Lands End to John O'Groats and London to Paris locked in:)

The tires are marked Schwalbe Marathon 32 - 622 (28 x 15/8 x 1 1/4 - 700 x 32c) hs308. Tube markings have always confused me, and I'm sure it gets asked here all the time.

What tube should I be looking at here in the UK as a spare?

Will this one be OK?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes, the number most usually listed is 700x32, so anything with that in the range will be the right size. You can even get away with slightly bigger or smaller tubes in a pinch.

The ones you linked to should be fine, or try these from Schwalbe. Some people recommend Schwalbe for reliable tubes as well as tyres.

Note valves: It might matter whether you currently have Schrader (like a car tyre) or Presta valves. If you have presta, the Schrader tube valves might not fit through the hole in the rim. Probably simplest to get the same kind.

share|improve this answer
700x32 isn't in that link you sent. Did you mean 700 x 28/42? – square_eyes Feb 24 '14 at 21:04
Well, 32 is between 28 and 42, so well within the range. – James Bradbury Feb 25 '14 at 10:56
Ah OK thanks. It's all so unnecessarily complicated:) – square_eyes Feb 25 '14 at 14:58
I found these which should be as good a price as any. Although I don't think the picture matches the description. The box says 18 and the details say 28. – square_eyes Feb 25 '14 at 15:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.