Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

It is time to change my bike's hydraulic disc brakes . Now I have a Hayes Stroker Ryde system , but I want to order a Shimano M395 instead . The question is that I don't know If I have to order the rotors with brakes or not . Both brakes are for 160 mm rotor but they don't look alike .

This is my hayes brake rotors

enter image description here

And this is the rotors of shimano m395enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

As long as you existing rotors are in good condition and thicker than 1.6mm (minimum safe thickness) you should have no issue with using them with the Shimanos. There doesn't seem to be an industry standard specification for rotor thickness but it is generally taken to be between 1.8mm - 2.0mm. The new callipers will self adjust to the rotor width.

Clean your existing rotor up with some rubbing alcohol (or similar solvent which doesn't leave a residue) before installing the new brake system to ensure there's no contamination.

share|improve this answer
Thank you very much – Abrahamyan Samvel Mar 3 '14 at 17:59
One thing to be aware of is the aluminum spiders on some rotors. ( i.e. Shimano ice-tech ) then can interfere with the install tabs on some brake pads ( i.e. Avid BB7 ). This is generally only an issue if the brake pads are installed from same side of the brake as the rotor. – Fred the Magic Wonder Dog Mar 4 '14 at 15:04

You would not need to change the rotors as they are both 160mm rotors but both are compatible if you want to change them.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.