Question: What is my best bet for a crankset, given the following requirements for a road bike I am setting up:
- 68mm "English" thread bottom bracket
- Shimano STI "brifters", 2x10 (I already have these!)
- Low crankset/chainring gearing approximately 24/39, similar to mountain 2x10
- Front index shifting works reasonably well (between the two chainrings)
- Other existing components are Ultegra 10-speed 12-23 cassette, Shimano 105 rear derailleur, and CX-70 front derailleur (all these parts should work with desired gearing)
- Assume all current generation parts
One possibility I am considering is to use the Shimano 105 triple, and replace the outer ring with a guard; my only concern with this is that the spacing between inner and middle rings might not match what the 2x brifter is expecting. Various mountain cranks are possibilities, but issues with chainring spacing and chainline might come into play.
For my philosophy on this gearing, see this link at Rivendell Bikes: http://www.rivbike.com/Cranks-Chainrings-s/41.htm also click the link on that page for "low-wide" crankset.