Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have 1990s Shiman Deore XT cantilever brake pad holder shoes with smooth studs. I believe these are "M Type" cartridges/inserts. The replaceable inserts slide in and are held in place by a screw / grub. They look like this:

Shiman Deore XT brake pads

I need to replace the replaceable inserts. However, I am having a hard time finding replacement inserts.

Is it possible to slide in "V brake" inserts that are readily available as replacement inserts? For example, could I use the following inserts in the shoes shown above?

Kool Stop V type refill insert

Or, are there any other inserts that can work with the Deore XT brake shoes that I have? As a side note, there is corroboration that aftermarket replacements for my brake shoes are hard or impossible to find (see here and here, e.g.).

share|improve this question
The best option is to just go with normal (non-replacable insert) brake pads+shoes - these things are hard to find, and even if you do find them, theres a decent chance the rubber is not in good condition due to age. – Batman Aug 4 '14 at 3:14

I don't know whether the v-brake replacements fit in. However, normal cantilever brake pads are very easy to find. When you don't find a replacement insert, just order some entire brake pads. You will probably get just as good braking pads for the same price.

Edit: Perhaps ask these guys:

share|improve this answer

I lost a Shimano Deore Xl pad recently.

As a stop gap, with nothing else available - was in the middle of nowhere, I bought at Walmart some Bell brake pads ($4.99), which have screw posts. The post didn't fit perfectly (I only had to replace one brake pad) but once I tightened and adjusted, it worked great ... and still does.

This is for an old Gary Fisher MTB. I'm still looking for a replacement for the Shimano pads; I will likely have to replace the whole rig, however. But for now, that brake pad is solid and not going anywhere.

share|improve this answer
Welcome to Bicycles. I've reformatted your post to make it easier to read, but it still does not directly answer the question. I suggest you add a sentence like "Yes, you can." at the start of the post. – andy256 Aug 4 '14 at 3:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.