Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Hi I got a used bike and my experience with bikes is very limited. The tires and tubes are all broken so I need to get new ones. I found these tires:

and I found these tubes for the tires:

but when I select the tubes the website asks me for the kind of valves I need. How to select that? Should I select the valves according to a criteria or should I get any valves?

share|improve this question
Look at:… And determine which valves your old tubes had. – Eric Smekens Jun 10 '14 at 13:46
You might be better off taking your old tire and tube to a bike shop, to buy replacements. The salesperson at the shop can explain the important aspects of tire/tube size. – Daniel R Hicks Jun 10 '14 at 13:54

Some rims have a small-diameter drilling for presta valves, so a schraeder (car-type) valve won't fit.

If your rim is drilled for schraeder valves, you can use presta valves, but you should use a plastic adapter sleeve to hold the valve in position and avoid wear to the valve stem or the edge of the drilling.

share|improve this answer
I will order a DV valve, is that ok? – Jack Twain Jun 10 '14 at 13:00
DV is Dunlop (or Woods) valve. These are not a popular choice nowadays. See for images of the three kinds. – Emyr Jun 10 '14 at 13:46
+1 for a nice, compact, accurate answer. Just to say that I bought a new bike just last year (a Dutch sit-up-and-beg) which came with Woods valves. First time I'd seen them in 30 years but there is obviously a small following out there. – PeteH Jun 10 '14 at 14:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.