Let's say I have 500€ to buy a second hand bike. How much of that budget shall I keep for repairs and upgrades, and how much shall I spend on the bike itself?
Of course it depends on the condition of the bike, but I was wondering if there is some general wisdom about this.
When buying a second hand car, the common wisdom says that ~30% of one's budget should be kept for immediate repairs and upgrades. So when someone has 10000€ for a second hand car, wisdom says to buy a car for 7000€, and keep the rest 3000€ for the repairs and upgrades after the buy.
The resources I found had no mention about the expected costs of repairs and upgrades.
I researched these topics already:
- What should I do to get an older bike into good condition?
- What should I look for when buying a used bicycle?
- How to tell if a bike is good before purchasing?
- Purchasing a bike
- Suggestions for budget mountain bike with opportunities for upgrade
- What to look out for in a second hand bike buy
- Buying a higher quality use bike vs. a lower quality new bike