I ride relatively long distances on a road bike on Sundays, usually around 90-100 miles and have experimented much as to what to eat. Here's what I've found so far.
- Soreen - tastes good, full of carbs, although must be buttered other the slices become a little stodgy after the fifth slice.
- Bananas - Certain provide energy but don't "fill you up"
- Power bars, expensive especially if you eat 5-6 on ride, but do what they say and give you a good energy boost
- Gels, immediate energy boost for when your really flagging. However, taken as the sole food but prepared to much through quite a few!
- Special K bars, 80 kcals per bar! I was felt hungry even after eating 8 of them.
- Snickers (Marathon) bars, great energy boost but felt like my teeth were going to fall out by the fifth. Also this makes gum essential, plus with so much sugar you can kinda feel it come out in your skin when you sweat.
Basically I'm looking for superfood which make a perfect riding companion. To make a good riding food it must be;
- Consumable - Easy to open when riding, i.e. the packet can be broken into whilst riding, either through ease of packet, or use of teeth
- Digestible - goes down well tastes good, and won't repeat when I start climbing through the hills.
- Calories - Must contain enough calories so I can continue to ride without feeling hungry.
- Durable - Are they going to melt in the heat? Or become too brittle to eat in the freezing cold.
I'd be very happy for some more suggestions :-)