Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I only have one set of water bottle mount screws on my bike. I would like to have an additional water bottle. Ideally I would like to mount the bottle on the frame (preferably on the vertical tube).

Bonus: Can I order/build in Canada?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

The Twofish Quick Cage has worked well for me. Not terribly pricey, and easy to reposition as needed. Not as secure as the hose clamp solution, however.

share|improve this answer

Get yourself two hose clamps that'll fit around the tube and some rubber strips to put under then so they don't scratch the paint up too badly. They'll hold a bottle cage on just fine.

If you can see under the dirt and grime, that's exactly how the bottle cage in this picture is mounted:

enter image description here

Edit: Here's another picture of a bottle cage mounted with hose clamps (not mine). enter image description here

share|improve this answer
I'll give you +1 if you clean off all that grime and take a picture that lets us see the details... =) – darkcanuck Apr 6 '11 at 14:19
And once upon a time you could buy (cheap) clamps at bike shops specifically designed to do this. I used a set on my first touring bike. – darkcanuck Apr 6 '11 at 14:20
I know for a fact that hose clamps are available in Canada. – DC_CARR Apr 6 '11 at 16:29
@darkcanuck - That'd be tough, since the bike is in a landfill now. But this picture is slightly clearer, and if you click through to my picture, I've added notes to show where the hose clamps are. – Neil Fein Apr 7 '11 at 4:20
Just going to say, when buying the hose clamps, make sure you can fully unscrew them if you're planning to put them on the inside frame. Nothing worse than getting some, going home, and finding out they're designed so they can't open up and won't go on. – Tarka Apr 8 '11 at 18:03

Are you only considering a frame mount? If not, there are options for mounting a cage on the seat rails, seat post, and handlebars. In addition, if the frame is all that you'll consider, there are a number of options for "clamp-type" water bottle systems.

You didn't mention, but if you have a carbon frame you'll need to choose an appropriate clamp so as not to damage the frame.

Not sure if you use a seat bag? An option is to switch from a seat bag to a dual-mount seat-rail water bottle cage; and then, carry your extras in something like this, and if you're frugal, a water bottle could be cut-down for the purpose.

share|improve this answer

I know this isn't what you asked, but have you considered a Camelbak?

share|improve this answer

I've been facing the same issue, trying to mount an additional bottle cage to the underside of the downtube on my mountain bike. I haven't settled on one particular solution yet, but I found this site helpful as it outlines various different solutions:

share|improve this answer
That page has a seriously exhaustive collection of options. I'm impressed by that alone. – Мסž Apr 6 '11 at 22:52
Aha - the Minoura Extra Cage clamps (or some facsimile) is what I used: – darkcanuck Apr 7 '11 at 3:11
Good site but it seems like it is not possible to get many of the products listed on the site. – sixtyfootersdude Apr 11 '11 at 3:10

As a Strida owner, I've struggled with exactly this problem. I went with the KLICKFix solution, and couldn't be more pleased.

It's not always I like to carry a bottle, so I really like the fact that I just remove the whole thing in a split second.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Another option is to fit additional threaddd mounts to your frame. This works fine if your frame is steel, but I wouldn't try this on a carbon or aluminium frame.

The threaded insert is called a rivnut or a nutsert and looks like this:

enter image description here

You would drill two holes in your steel frame barely big enough for the OD of your nuts, press the nuts into place, and then use a rivnut tool or a suitably-threaded nut and bolt to crush the rivet part closed. The thread is 5 x 0.8mm and is the same as your normal water bottle mount bolts, and coincidentally many wheel skewers too.

Epoxy or JB Weld would be a good idea too to help stabilise the insert.

You can also hire rivnut tools from hire companies - they're not cheap.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.