Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I bought this new pump, but i think I made a mistake.

I need it for my road bikes, with presta valves. I don't understand how I connect the pump to the presta.

Is it even possible? do I need an adapter?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

It is for adjusting the suspension on a medium to high-end mountain bike (fork), hence the lack of 'Presta' option.

Since you will be returning it, to keep the shop happy and get what you really need, consider getting:

  1. A track pump with gauge and aluminium body. Look for one with a well engineered head that does Presta and Shrader valves. The easiest ones to use have a lever that you fold out to get a snug fit.

  2. For the road, carry an affordable, light mini-pump with as few movable parts as possible. The deluxe mini-pumps with dual-action, fancy gauges and other features have a tendency to rattle apart, rendering them useless when you need it.

Keep it simple is what you want with a mini-pump, it only has to get you home and you hopefully will have a proper track pump with gauge at home.

share|improve this answer

That pump does not appear to be intended for use with tires. Return it and buy an appropriate pump.

share|improve this answer
I feared that will be the answer :-/ – Saariko Aug 3 '11 at 16:14

Yep, it appears to be what it says (though not very clearly) -- a "shock pump", intended for pumping up shocks in bike suspensions, not for pumping up tires.

And, frankly, I've never seen a "mini" pump that could do even a halfway decent job of pumping up high pressure tires. You need a full-sized frame pump to do it reasonably well.

share|improve this answer

As stated, return the Pocket Shock since the intended function is for shocks. Look into the Topeak Race Rocket HP for a compact road pump.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.