I'm building two new sets of mountain bike 26" wheels, and I'm wondering what to go with. Both are double walled rims, so in addition to the standard rim tape and strips, I can use a product like VeloPlugs.
Here's my current understanding:
- Most expensive ($7 / wheel)
- Lightest (~5g)
- Double Walled Rims only
- Have to measure spoke holes in double wall (8mm vs 8.5-9.3mm)
- May lose them when changing tubes, so carry extras on rides
- Mid-range price ($4 / wheel)
- Cheapest (~$3 / wheel)
- Won't slide around like Rim Strips
- Weight (~20g)
- Glue may prevent nipples from loosening in single walled rims
- Won't slide around on rim
- Most common / available
What are other points or guiding factors in selecting which to use? I'm not concerned with price and availability, I'll wait/pay for the best option. I'm leaning toward VeloPlugs for dual walled rims and rim tape for single walled.
Furthermore, if anyone has used VeloPlugs before, how do you find the diameter of the spoke holes when the rim manufacturers doesn't publish it? Just wait until the rims are in hand and measure with a caliper?