Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to convert a short cage derailleur (for example the huret svelto) to a long cage derailleur by just taking the lower cage and replacing it by a longer one?

share|improve this question
Of course, you can do it, if you have the long cage and any associated parts. But about the only way to get a long cage is to take it off another derailer. And note that, to be "perfect", springs may need to be swapped as well, and the stops may be cut differently on the upper cage (or other differences) depending on whether it's for long or short cage. – Daniel R Hicks May 29 '12 at 15:08
How's about Simplex SLJ5500 short cage and Simplex SX410 long cage? Is Simplex possible? – user8782 Dec 16 '13 at 6:21

Yes, if the derailleurs are the same model, and you can get all the parts, (which isn't usually a straightforward process) youcan convert from short cage to long cage.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.