Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to convert a short cage rear derailleur (for example the Huret Svelto) to a long cage derailleur by just taking the lower cage and replacing it by a longer one?

share|improve this question
Of course, you can do it, if you have the long cage and any associated parts. But about the only way to get a long cage is to take it off another derailer. And note that, to be "perfect", springs may need to be swapped as well, and the stops may be cut differently on the upper cage (or other differences) depending on whether it's for long or short cage. – Daniel R Hicks May 29 '12 at 15:08

Yes, if the derailleurs are the same model, and you can get all the parts, (which isn't usually a straightforward process) youcan convert from short cage to long cage.

share|improve this answer
That's assuming that the rest of the derailleur is constructed the same way, which is not guaranteed. It's an inane problem anyway -- if you could do it, you're cannibalizing a long cage derailleur that you could have just bolted on anyway. – Batman Feb 8 at 19:12
You might need to adjust the chain length too, especially if you added a bigger sprocket that the short cage couldn't handle. – ebrohman Feb 9 at 0:23
Actually, you can order the long cage parts only. You don't necessarily need to cannibalize a long cage derailleur. And you would need to adjust chain length, of course. And if the derailleur so are the same model, as I specified, it would be constructed the same. – zenbike Feb 10 at 5:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.