What do I need to be concerned with when cleaning my bike after a typical muddy and sandy cyclocross race? (Probably also applicable to mountain biking.)
Particularly, what can be done (in the field) between races to keep the bike clean and ready to ride again? Also, what am I missing due to the quick cleaning which I should take care of at home later?
I know we are supposed to avoid using a high pressure washer around the hubs / bottom bracket to avoid pushing out the grease.
I'm concerned with
- Grit in the chain
- Grit in the brake cables / shift cables
- Grit in the brakes and on the rims (typically canti-brakes)
- Mud caked in and around every part of the drivetrain / hubs / derailleur
- Re-lubing the drivetrain (and other parts) for another race
- What kind of 'field kit' items I will need for this
Other Related Questions on bike cleaning: