see also "What are the accepted hand signals for cyclists in the US?"

5 Answers 5


From a UK government website I found the following document (linked from a page about the Highway Code for cyclists).

Signals to other road users (scroll to the bottom for cyclist information)

Essentially there are three signals for cyclists:

  • Left arm out - "I intend to move in to the left or turn left"
  • Right arm out - "I intend to move out to the right or turn right"
  • (Right) arm up and down - "I intend to slow down or stop" (very rarely if ever used...)

In reality you will find only the left and right signalling used by UK cyclists - any other gestures would not be understood by enough other road users to make them worthwhile.

  • As I said above, I don't think I've ever used (or ever seen anybody else use) the slowing down signal.
    – Amos
    Commented Oct 2, 2010 at 19:36
  • I expanded my answer to reflect our shared experiences :)
    – 8128
    Commented Oct 2, 2010 at 19:48
  • I didn't understand the slowing/braking signal until I saw this: http://goo.gl/P1j3 Commented Oct 2, 2010 at 19:51
  • 1
    In N america is seems that you use the arm on the traffic side bent to say you are turning the other way - because the view of the other arm is blocked. Of course no driver knows this so there isn't much point!
    – mgb
    Commented Mar 28, 2011 at 5:20
  • 1
    I used to use the slow down signal, but nobody seems to understand it, so these days I find slowing down gradually enough for the guy behind you to react safely is a better approach.
    – GordonM
    Commented Aug 30, 2012 at 7:46

When I'm turning left I put my left arm straight out.

When I'm turning right I put my right arm straight out.

Then I do the Hokey Cokey.....sorry got a bit carried away there.

I vaguely remember from my Cycling Proficiency test that flapping your right arm up and down signals that you're stopping, but in the more than 30 years since I passed it I don't remember ever using it.


In addition to the normal right, left signals, I also like to give little friendly waves to any drivers where they've demonstrated a rudimentary knowledge of the highway code, such as not turning across my path when I have right of way.

  • And a one-fingered "wave" when they demonstrate a lack of that rudimentary knowledge? ;-)
    – freiheit
    Commented Oct 2, 2010 at 19:07
  • 1
    Two fingered, surely.
    – Amos
    Commented Oct 2, 2010 at 19:32

I use all four official hand signals when cycling. This is in the UK of course.

Turning left: Left arm out.

Turning right: Right arm out.

Slowing down or stopping: right arm out, palm down and waving clearly up and down.

Going straight across (for junctions): Right arm bent out at the elbow with hand pointing up.


In Canada, It's

Left Turn: Left arm straight out.

Right Turn: Left arm bent up at the elbow.

Stop/slow down: Left arm bent down at the elbow.

The right arm isn't used because it's harder for drivers to see. I thought the rules were pretty universal. But according to @Amos, they aren't.

Actually, In the UK, I assume it would be reversed to use the right arm, sing you ride on the left and side of the road.

  • The Highway Code does contain hand/arm signals which can be done just with your right arm for car drivers, but I can't remember whether cyclists can employ them too. I passed my driving test 24 years ago and I don't think I've looked at a copy of the Highway Code since.
    – Amos
    Commented Oct 2, 2010 at 18:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.