I was bolting on my Tubus Nova front rack and noticed that there were bolt holes on the bottom of it, and got to wondering what they are for. The instructions are mostly in pictures and just show that it is to attach this little flange "for panniers". I'm mostly familiar with Ortlieb-style panniers that clip on the top and a sideways hook below. What kind of pannier attachment would use this sort of thing?

Extract from Tubus Nova Manual

  • 1
    Many panniers have a hook at the bottom that needs to "grab" some sort of eyelet. My TransIts have this -- a hook that is tightened by a web strap that runs in a V from one top corner, down through the hook, and to the other top corner, with a adjustable buckle to tighten the strap. My old (and greatly missed) Cannondale bags had a spring running down with a loop on the bottom, and you needed to fasten a hook to the bottom of the rack frame to match. Commented Dec 9, 2012 at 22:36
  • Old Ortlieb bags have a rubber strap hooking into such an eye as well. Tubus and Ortlieb usually match very well, which may be a reason for Tubus to keep the eye.
    – bhell
    Commented Dec 10, 2012 at 9:45
  • The old Karrimor panniers had a hook on an elastic cord that fitted into an eye at the bottom of the pannier too.
    – DanS
    Commented Dec 14, 2012 at 14:57

1 Answer 1


This would work with my pannier set. I have Axiom Monsoon panniers with a hook at the bottom that would fit right about there.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.