I have the following Schwinn bike pump. It’s pretty old, perhaps 30 years or more. I like it a lot.

Some years ago, I changed to Presta valves; for this I needed a new head. I got a Topeak SmartHead Bicycle Floor Pump Upgrade Kit, which is a replacement head and hose with a number of different adapters. Unfortunately, none of them fit this pump, so I just hacked off most of the worn-out stock hose and spliced in the Topeak hose (one of the adapters is designed for this).

Every so often, the splice begins to leak because the stock hose cracks a little. This is easily repaired by cutting off another 5mm and re-splicing, but obviously that's not sustainable.

Here are some close-up views of the threads, and also the gauge for ID purposes. That's a AAA battery for scale.

My question is: where can I find something that will screw into the threads in the base of the pump and somehow lead to a modern Presta pump head?

  • 1
    You could check with a local outfit that fabs hydraulic and air hoses for industrial purposes. Commented Feb 9, 2013 at 23:15
  • 1
    I think something like amazon.com/Sunlite-Bicycle-Replacement-Model-Floor/dp/… could fit your needs. You would just have to check if the thread has the right size. Commented Feb 10, 2013 at 15:26
  • 1
    Take it to a hardware store (when they're not busy) and see if they have a bolt or fitting that matches. With any luck it's IPS. Commented Feb 10, 2013 at 19:52
  • 1
    Have you already thought about contacting Schwinn directly? As they are in the market for some years now, they may have some sense of tradition and may be able to tell you which thread you need o maybe even still have spare parts for your pump. Commented Feb 10, 2013 at 20:59
  • 1
    In principle, you could use a thread gauge: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_pitch_gauge In practice, finding a nut that fits on your hose end or a machine screw that fits into your pump base will probably be easier. Be careful if you find one that nearly fits, or it will chew up the existing thread.
    – armb
    Commented Feb 2, 2016 at 16:35

6 Answers 6


I think that the size of that thread is called, "1/16 pipe thread" Find local places that make custom hydraulic hoses and verify the thread. Then ask whether they have a fitting that is 1/16 male thread by hose barb. Then you could eliminate all of the 30-year-old hose.


Another option would be to very carefully cut off the piece of metal that crimps the existing hose onto the threaded part, and then reuse the threaded part by crimping the new hose onto it. The downside is that if it doesn't work, you can no longer even go on as you are, because you will no longer have any of the old hose left at all to join to. If you can find another hose that fits first, like maybe a one from a similar age frame pump (which would be too short to just use as is), that would be safer.

Yet another option (which could also be used if you try the option above and it fails) - pick one of the adapters that came with the new hose, and make the pump fit it, either by tapping it out to a larger thread that fits a larger adapter thread, or tapping it out to a larger thread and fitting a helicoil. Downside - if the new thread is too much larger, the base of the pump will break. (And if it's not larger enough, it won't hold the new adapter securely. You could cross thread it and then use epoxy, but that's getting pretty desperate.)


A search online turned up nothing for a pump that old. If you have a model number or something else that identifies the pump, that may help get better answers. There are plenty of replacement hoses out there, but the photos don't really show a closeup of the threaded connection to the pump base. The only thing I can think of, would be to take the pump and the hose connection piece to an automotive shop where they can make their own high pressure hose fittings for vehicle applications like air conditioning type hoses. You would obviously need a smaller diameter hose, but it's possible they have smaller hoses for other high pressure applications. They may already have a threaded fitting that will work, or know where to get one. If they have or can get the fitting, then the correct diameter and length of hose should be easy. This would likely cost twice as much or more than you paid for the pump, but if it's a favorite, it may be worth it to you.


I just ordered a Silca replacement hose and Schrader end for the same pump. Silca also makes a presta valve adapter. Check out the Silca website or Modern Bike.

  • Thanks! Can you edit in the part numbers and add links?
    – Reid
    Commented Sep 9, 2020 at 16:01

This looks similar. You could whack off the head and hopefully the hose inlet to the pump is the right size.

It is listed as 3/16" hose connector.

  • 2
    The link doesn't work. It is better to show a picture an explanation of the item rather than provide a link to an online store as often links expire but a user may want to see the answer in the future.
    – DWGKNZ
    Commented Mar 30, 2014 at 22:07

It's rather simple, just buy another hose in the length you need. There's common lengths of you can get one custom made at a hydraulic hose shop possibly.

A Google search of "Bicycle pump replacement hose" will pull up dozens and dozens of hoses in a variety of lengths, end fittings and colors.

  • 1
    Hi Chase, i'd like to think the OP has sorted this now as the original question goes back to Feb 2013, reading back through the post my understanding was the actual problem was the male connector into the actual pump. Yes you're right in suggesting that "Google" has lots of options for hose but unfortunately unless you know the specific size needed beforehand it's as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
    – Dan K
    Commented Jun 20, 2019 at 5:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.