I could really could do with a hand here, I'm currently restoring a old Raleigh Milk Race bike which has friction tube shifters fitted. I want to upgrade the rear derailleur but I'm not sure if I have to buy a certain type. It has a SunRace one fitted, and the front one is a Shimano one.

The bike is a 7 speed.

  • 1
    What year is the bike? If memory serves the milk race ran from time immemorial until sometime around 2004, so you're looking at a wide range of different technologies to be compatible with. May 28 '13 at 18:07
  • If it's not indexed shift you basically just need a derailer with enough tooth capacity. IIRC, 7 speed of that era used a slightly narrower chain than 5/6, but not enough to upset the derailer. May 28 '13 at 21:55

Almost any rear derailleur will do. You aren't limited by the shifters (since they're friction shifters, they have no index incompatabilities) and it's a 7 speed, so anything that is rated for 6, 7, or 8 speed will work fine. Go to a local shop that sells used parts or a local community group and take a look at what they have in their parts bin.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.