I want to temporarily swap parts on two bikes for a trip - I currently have a Tiagra 9-speed setup and a bike with Ultegra 6600 double/10 speed. Is it possible to use the triple front shifter from a 9-speed group with the Ultegra group (substituting an Ultegra triple crank and FD that I'd buy) ?

  • 1
    I posed a similar question a while ago, any use? bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/13294/…
    – PeteH
    May 29 '13 at 7:10
  • @PeteH - I need to know specifically about the derailuer and the gruppo. It 'should' work, but 'should' is never certain with this sort of stuff....
    – dfb
    May 29 '13 at 14:48

Yes, it will work, but you need to double check shifting range settings — stops — on the front derailleur.

I recommend use second and third positions of shifter for inner and outer rings respectively (not the first and second).

If you will use not only triple front shifter but also a triple front derailleur you must consider that shifting on double crankset with triple derailleur wouldn't be as fine as with double derailleur (because of triple derailleur frame form).


It will work OK. I've used an 8 speed mountain bike derailleur with a 10 speed group on my cross bike. It won't be the crispest, but it will work. Just adjust the limiter screws until it shifts appropriately.

  • Swapping rear derailleurs within a manufacturer with different speeds or between mountain and road typically isn't really a problem for the most part- they don't really care what goes on between the limit stops (you just need to have sufficiently long cages typically, as the cable pull is usually the same except with systems like dynasys). A lot of touring bikes for example are often spec'd with a Deore rear and STI/bar end shifters. Fronts on the other hand are road/mountain specific even wtihin a manufacturer.
    – Batman
    Jan 12 '14 at 5:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.