There's a part common to all bikes that resides by the right-hand pedal that holds the front sprockets upon which the chain grips?

I'm aware that this part contains the sprocket or sprockets on to which the chain grips. I'm aware that this part will often contain the right pedal arm.

I'm not aware of the name of the part itself. What is this called?

I'm asking as I have one that is slightly bent. I'm looking for the correct terminology to better find out how one might best return this part to its non-bent state.

The part to which I'm referring look like this:

enter image description here

  • Care to upload a photo?
    – cherouvim
    Commented Sep 2, 2013 at 10:43
  • @cherouvim: I don't have the bike with me at present and have added a product photo of this type of part.
    – Jon Cram
    Commented Sep 2, 2013 at 10:49
  • That's called a "spider" (which is a slight misnomer since it generally only has 4-5 "legs"). It's generally manufactured in the same piece as the right "crank arm". Commented Sep 2, 2013 at 11:39

1 Answer 1


The entire assembly is called the crankset.

The ring with the teeth is called the chainring.

The crankset consists of the crank arm, the spider and the chainrings. The chainrings bolt onto the spider which is the multi-armed piece connected to the crank arm.

The right crank arm and spider are often one piece. Lower-end cranksets are forged or riveted together, while higher-end (like the one shown in the question) are bolted. With bolted cranksets one can exchange only the chainrings; with monolitic ones the whole assembly has to be replaced once the chainrings are worn.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.