If there is a good book what would it be? I'm pretty sure I can find stuff on YouTube (any particular user?). Any blogs out there?
- A Bit More Than Basic Bicycle Maintenance for the Average Cyclist, at the How to Fix Bikes
- Sheldon Brown's site has articles on many aspects of bike maintenance
- The Park Tool website has instructions for most basic repair operations, and their handy bike map is great when you don't know a headset from a handlebar.
- Bicycle Tutor has videos demonstrating many repair jobs
- Beachbike's Youtube channel has a lot of information specific to beach cruisers. The videos on internally geared hubs are helpful and clear.
These two books came highly recommended to me, and together they cover about every bike part your bike may have. (The road bike book doesn't cover "V" style brakes, since they're considered mountain bike parts).
Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
This one is pretty good: The Bicycling guide to complete bicycle maintenance & repair : for road & mountain bikes / Todd Downs. (6th edition out soon)
I personally have Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance as mentioned above.
I use a combination of:
- The Haynes Bike Book which is like a standard Haynes Manual but for bikes.
- The Complete Do It Yourself Bike Book by Mel Allwood
- The Internet
Between them the two books tend to give me a thorough step by step breakdown of what needs to be done and what tools I might require, whilst the internet just pads this out (and can occasionally be either difficult to search or confusing with it's results).
This website if you've got a more specific question about which bit of your bike you want to maintain!
Look for courses at your local bike store.
In the UK Edinburgh bike coop do excellent basic and more advanced course, as do MEC in Canada - both also do women only courses.
Most local bike advocacy groups will do something similar, sometimes it's helpful to see how to do it.
If we're sticking with websites, I also like Thomas Driemeyer's site.
I also use Todd Downs "Bicycle Maintnenance & Repair" book as it has great pictures and really explains things well.