What is the name in English of the part that has a set of dented wheels and goes attached to the center of the back wheel of a bicycle?

enter image description here

What would be the name(s) in English of the tool that allows to remove these dented wheels so that I can replace a broken spoke?

I have had bicycles all my life, but now that I left my country of origin buying tools and parts using a language that is not my mother tongue is a bit challenging sometimes.

(If anyone can provide the same names in French that would be even better).

  • 1
    Sheldon has a French-English dictionary page for a bunch of cycling parts/terms. Including cassettes (cassettes) and freehubs (moyeu-roues libres). Any use?
    – PeteH
    Apr 15, 2014 at 12:56

2 Answers 2


We have a terminology index here that should help you with the more common names. Please feel free to suggest anything that is missing (we do try to keep adding things that are missing)

Unfortunately it doesn't currently have the things you're asking about. The part you've shown is a freewheel, and the tool is called a freewheel remover. You also need a chain whip to hold it in place while using that tool. (edit: no you don't). Note that there are several different types of freewheel removal tools because there are different types of freewheels. See this blog post, for example.

freewheel remover

Also, modern bikes tend to use cassettes rather than freewheels. The difference is explained here by Sheldon Brown and here's a picture from his site showing the important bits:

freewhel vs cassette

  • 3
    Note that there is a significant difference between a freewheel and a cassette freehub system.
    – Batman
    Apr 14, 2014 at 4:28
  • The dented wheels are called sprockets, and the set of them is also called a cluster; the tool to remove it is also called a cluster remover.
    – andy256
    Apr 14, 2014 at 4:30
  • ... mass editing of the Terminology Index will now ensue :)
    – Móż
    Apr 14, 2014 at 4:51
  • @Batman: good point. I hope the picture is accurate. Should I add a "how to tell the difference" picture pair?
    – Móż
    Apr 14, 2014 at 4:54
  • I think it would make it better - most quality bicycles have had cassettes rather than freewheels for a while, so its probably good to note.
    – Batman
    Apr 14, 2014 at 5:25

If you have a modern bicycle, it's a cassette in English. And the tools are a chain whip and a lockout ring remover or cassette remover.

With Chain Reaction and Wiggle it is possible to choose French for the language, even if you are in England (I do the opposite in France ;-) )


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.