Hi I got a used bike and my experience with bikes is very limited. The tires and tubes are all broken so I need to get new ones. I found these tires: http://www.fahrrad.de/continental-speed-king-set-26-zoll-draht-362100.html

and I found these tubes for the tires: http://www.fahrrad.de/fahrradteile/reifen-schlaeuche/rcp-fahrradschlauch-26-zoll-universal/285443.html?eqrecqid=be78e9d1-f097-11e3-804f-c8600056a33a

but when I select the tubes the website asks me for the kind of valves I need. How to select that? Should I select the valves according to a criteria or should I get any valves?

  • Look at: bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/244/… And determine which valves your old tubes had. Jun 10, 2014 at 13:46
  • 1
    You might be better off taking your old tire and tube to a bike shop, to buy replacements. The salesperson at the shop can explain the important aspects of tire/tube size. Jun 10, 2014 at 13:54

1 Answer 1


Some rims have a small-diameter drilling for presta valves, so a schraeder (car-type) valve won't fit.

If your rim is drilled for schraeder valves, you can use presta valves, but you should use a plastic adapter sleeve to hold the valve in position and avoid wear to the valve stem or the edge of the drilling.

  • I will order a DV valve, is that ok?
    – Jack Twain
    Jun 10, 2014 at 13:00
  • DV is Dunlop (or Woods) valve. These are not a popular choice nowadays. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_stem for images of the three kinds.
    – Emyr
    Jun 10, 2014 at 13:46
  • +1 for a nice, compact, accurate answer. Just to say that I bought a new bike just last year (a Dutch sit-up-and-beg) which came with Woods valves. First time I'd seen them in 30 years but there is obviously a small following out there.
    – PeteH
    Jun 10, 2014 at 14:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.