Visors seem pretty ubiquitous on mountain bike helmets, but not on road bike helmets. Why do mountain bike helmets have visors? What purpose does the visor have?
One purpose of a visor is to shield the sun like a baseball cap.
There are many factors:
- Wind resistance is not as big a factor on a mountain bike (slower speeds).
- The more upright position on a mountain bike puts a visor more into play.
- On a road bike the rider is leaning forward and facing down and the visor can even block forward view.
- A visor can help keep rain, sprayed up mud, or low branches off the riders face.
- Mountain bikers think it's cool?
I spend a lot of my time on my MTB riding around forests so the visor is to keep branches out of my face.