I was adjusting rear brakes last night and this little thing snapped in half (see image [right]). The linear indent holds my brake cable in place and a 5mm bolt holds this in place. I guess I need to find a replacement but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone know what this might be called? Can I stillfind something like this?

Bike: Old Dawes Horizon (1990's maybe?) Braking system: Centre pull cantilever.


Left. Full part taken from front (working) brakes. Right: Snapped part taken from rear brakes.

  • 1
    Grooved washers are typically used to hold cables on brakes or derailleurs. Check at your LBS.
    – Carel
    Jul 21, 2014 at 11:52
  • 8
    Ah, yes, it's a simple cable clamp. A good bike shop will probably be able to scavenge one from their spare parts box and should give it to you for free or a modest price. Jul 21, 2014 at 15:47

1 Answer 1


As the comment says, it is a cable clamp. They come in a variety of styles, knowing the make and type of brake it came from would help your LBS find something that should work.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.