I saw this at work the other day and I was completely baffled. This bicycle has an additional, adjustable metal bar that runs parallel to the upper part of the frame, between the seat and the handlebar mounts. It looks like a finished product including labels and whatnot. I didn't see any damage to the frame that I could tell.

Can someone identify this device and its function?

enter image description here

  • The answers nailed it. There are similar bars that are used on step through frame bikes to load onto car carriers.
    – BPugh
    Sep 29 '14 at 1:21

It's used for attaching a child seat similar to this one.

Kangaroo seat

The above site shows a clearer image of the part in question which might be useful to future visitors.

Child set mounting bar


Looks like it might be a mount for a kid's bike seat.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.