I want to make my own gear cable of non-standard length. I have a cable with one end capped like the larger end-cap shown in the first picture; the other end is currently bare — I have trimmed the cable to the right length.

I need to create an end-cap on the bare end of the cable (after sliding through the ferrule), similar to the thinner end-cap in the first diagram.

I have considered using the standard 1.6 mm cable caps but these aren't not going to work because:

  • I need a slender and well-rounded end-cap to fit inside the ferrule
  • A pinched cable tip fails because the force of a gear change is applied directly to the anchor (and it just gets torn off)

enter image description here

How are these end-capped cables manufactured and therefore how can I make my own?

My specific ferrule and indicator are here:

enter image description here

  • 1
    Why do you need anchors on both ends? Typically you have an anchor on the lever end the other end the cable is pinched with a nut and then you just have cap on the cable end to keep it from fraying. What are you trying to do?
    – paparazzo
    Commented Oct 2, 2014 at 17:41
  • The ferrule has a thread that screws on to a hub gear indicator Commented Oct 2, 2014 at 17:59
  • Please provide a picture of your hub gear indicator and ferrule with threads.
    – paparazzo
    Commented Oct 2, 2014 at 18:07
  • I've now provided a photo of my ferrule and indicator Commented Oct 2, 2014 at 18:43
  • 1
    End cap and anchors are different thing that go on the end. An end cap just stops fraying and will pull off. Why you want to manufacture your own anchor is beyond me? I will leave you alone.
    – paparazzo
    Commented Oct 2, 2014 at 20:04

2 Answers 2


There are a variety of industry solutions for crimping stops on to a cable like this. They sometimes require a special crimp tool, but you can usually get by with a vice.

You might start with something like this:


See the second entry, "Stop Sleeves"


If this is a 3 speed Sturmey Archer or similar system you need a replacement cable. It will come complete with the cable and housing with the ends installed. There are universal replacement cables available (I have one on my 35 year old Raleigh). The shift adjuster ferrule has a clamp/pinch nut attached so a standard shift cable can be used. Checking several on line retailers shows most of the replacement cables (non NOS) use this universal setup

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.