The brake pads on my bike have worn out, so I ordered a new set online, and after I spent a lot of time trying to adjust them, I noticed it won't work as they're not long enough to grip the rim when braking. I'm looking up online, and I can't seem to find anything without those bits and bolts just with a plain long-enough bar.

What name/keyword shall I look up to find what I need?

The Original Brakes: The Original Brakes

The New Brake With Bolts That's Short: The New Brake With Bolts That's Short

The New Brake Without Bolt Which Is Not Safe Enough: The New Brake Without Bolt Which Is Not Safe Enough

UPDATE: Googling "cantilever" was helpful as @mikes mentioned. They seem to be 70mm pads. Also here's another picture from the pads:

enter image description here

  • They look like cantilever brake pads, but you should post a picture of the whole brake as well.
    – Batman
    Commented Dec 28, 2014 at 16:26
  • 1
    I think your best bet is to go to a physical bike shop. Brake pads differ in post style, length, and the hardness of the pad material, and you pretty much need to touch them to see which suits your needs. Commented Dec 28, 2014 at 16:49

2 Answers 2


If you search cantilever brake parts you should find what you need. They are sometimes referred to as threadless post brake pads.

  • Also some times they call them canti
    – paparazzo
    Commented Dec 28, 2014 at 18:27
  • 1
    Right, the OP's problem is that he/she bought pads with threaded posts when the old pads are non-threaded. It should be easy to find the right ones in any shop. Commented Dec 29, 2014 at 5:01
  • Thanks. Using those keywords helped me find what I needed. I'm also surprised to see that the question has got no votes but answers get votes! :D
    – Neeku
    Commented Jan 1, 2015 at 22:43

First off, you're best bet is to go to a bike shop and ask for some help. They'll be happy to help you out and teach you what you need to know. That being said, if you don't want to or can't make it to a shop, here's my two cents:

Those don't look like cantilever brakes to me - they look like linear pull (or V-Brakes).

mikes' answer is correct in pointing out that you need the ones without threads on the posts.

Something like this will probably work: http://www.amazon.com/Aztec-Aztec2-Bicycle-Brake-Cantilever/dp/B000FSSMNO

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.