What I want to achieve is going from having some gears to having more gears. To be more specific I would like to get more gear ratio range in both low and high end.
First of all I tried to look for the answer over several days(few hours at a time). I also hope this is not too open ended - I did read on how to ask a question and what not to ask. I'll try to be as specific as I can.
I did find several topics on adding gears to a single speed bicycle. Like these:
- Whats the easiest way to add gears to my single speed
- How hard is it to add gears to a bike that previously had none
Also found people going from multiple-gears to a single gear:
And MTB specific talk on giveing up the front derailleur:
In several threads people have suggested getting a second bike but this is not a good solution for me at the moment.
The bicycle (Ammaco Classique):
- Shimano RS-35 6-speed index revoshift gear lever
- Shimano TY18 rear 6-speed derailleur
- Front single 42T cog
- Rear a 6 speed freewheel with 14T-28T (G.Falcon 8BO). It measures 33.5 mm tall when rested on it's back on a table top and measured to the tallest point.
I can usually handle most of the repairs myself and consider this a fun exercise. So I probably won't have to count shop hours in the overall cost. That said there are still several jobs/tools that I have jet to learn.
What I already know about adding front derailleur
- I might also have to upgrade the rear one to match the gears
- I'll probably need clamp-on cable guides
- I'll most likely need to get a new chain guard
- Also might need a new bottom bracket
What I already know about upgrading the rear one
- I will probably need to get a new chain
Hope this is enough to get the discussion going. Sorry for the broken links - will fix them when I get sufficient rep.