This is my second attempt to setup a Shimano 5800 groupset from scratch. The problem on both bikes has been that downshifting worked to a point, but upshifting never works. The process isn't detailed very well in the docs, but the following is what I've done.
- Tapped the B lever (upshift) 10+ times.
- Thread the cable through the lever. Use the correct Shimano provided housing end with extra sheath for the cable. Close the flap. Make sure end is pulled into place for no lever side cable slack. I don't have a third hand tool so maybe my mistake is here.
- Attach cable to rear derailleur. Again slack with no third hand tool. Tighten by compressing the derailleur and pulling the cable by hand.
- Downshift as far as it'll go. I had planned to set the derailleur adjustment screws once I has in the largest gear.
- Now the B lever feels like it's not engaging the cable at all. Unable to upshift at all. B lever does move freely.
I've been through this three or four times and the outcome has been the same. Any ideas what I might be missing?