I am currently converting my Rohloff's gear mech from the internal to external version, and I’d like to route the shifter cables along the downtube and chainstay. However, I’m not sure how to route the cables from the shifter on the right side of the handlebars to the gear mech on the left side of the rear wheel. What attachments might I need for this beyond any brazes on my Surly LHT (non-disc) frame? Does anyone have a few high-definition photos they could share of their working and time-tested setup?

  • 1
    I can take some, but my solution might not impress you as I use cable ties. The route is just from the right handlebar, down the left side of the top tube, down the left seatstay through the rack and to the shifter box. Albeit I don't have a Rohloff in an upright diamond frame, but the routing issues seem pretty standard.
    – Móż
    Aug 25, 2015 at 5:10
  • Thanks, but I would like to avoid routing the Rohloff shifter cables along the top tube. That's the setup I already have, and the top tube and rear brake area feels a bit cluttered. I’m looking specifically for info on downtube and chainstay routing. Aug 25, 2015 at 5:38
  • 1
    Don't you just strap the cables to the tubes you prefer? I'm not sure what you're asking for.
    – Móż
    Aug 25, 2015 at 6:38
  • My own shifter cables run down the bottom of my bottom tube. But I have a specialized sirrus sport, so my frame might be different.
    – Weirix
    Aug 25, 2015 at 8:13
  • 1
    You should do whatever makes you happy. We can't tell you that. Rohloff cables should have full housing from the shifter to the hub, but apart from that it's up to you. In my velomobile I just ran them across the floor with no attachment to the bike except at the ends.
    – Móż
    Aug 25, 2015 at 21:50

1 Answer 1


As you have a steel frame, you will get the best result if you have a competent framebuilder add the appropriate brazeons. There are two sorts of brazeons that one could use:

  • Cable tie guides, where the cable housing is fixed in a groove with a small cable tie (looks much better than a big cable tie around the entire tube!)
  • various shapes of short tubes or rings, where the cable housing is fed through

Have a look at Ceeway for what is available (or talk to your framebuilder).

For a visually pleasing end result, the frame will need a new paint job after adding brazeons.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.