I recently had to take the front gear off of my bike and had some difficulty undoing the bolts. Because of their poor condition, I have decided to replace them. However, I have no idea what they are called. I've included a couple photos that show the bolts themselves and the holes they are meant to fill. I had to saw the end of one of them off to get it out, and the Allen key holes are circular, so really they do need replacing.

the bolts

the chainring, sans bolts

  • 2
    Yep, chainring bolts. Pretty standard item, though I suppose there may be 2-3 different sizes. – Daniel R Hicks Sep 13 '15 at 18:16
  • 2
    "size" in this case means length, even the imperialists use 10mm threads. So you get single ring, double ring, even triple ring lengths. – Móż Sep 13 '15 at 22:34

They're called simply chainring bolts. The tool to hold the other part while tightening is chainring bolt wrench.

Chainring bolt wrench

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.