Curious if I can just replace the bearings in my existing cups or if I would need to buy new cups?

If possible to replace them then what are possible high quality replacement bearings?

  • What kind of problems are you experiencing? Commented Aug 27, 2010 at 16:13

2 Answers 2


It isn't recommended by Shimano, but some shops use a bearing puller to slide them out of the bottom bracket. I don't know if Park Tool makes one, but you should be able to find one at a specialty hardware store. Once you get them out, you can service or replace them.

  • The bearing puller in this instance is different from your typical slider style puller. It is much more gentle in how it removes the bearings and is purpose built for bicycle bottom brackets.
    – tplunket
    Commented Sep 3, 2010 at 15:36


Specifically go to the products section, tools and look at the BRT-001.

Have one, works well.

  • Thanks, this answers the second part of my question but I can only mark one as the answer.
    – jenglert
    Commented Sep 3, 2010 at 15:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.