I've got a Giant Revolt with a OverDrive tapered steerer (1 1/8-inch top to 1 1/4-inch bottom), and am thinking about replacing the fork with a shock.

If I used a shock with a 1 1/8-inch non-tapered steerer, can I just replace the bottom bearing?

Or can I add a tapered spacer and convert the straight steerer to OverDrive? Has anyone tried this?

1 Answer 1


You will need a crown race reducer.

1-1/2" -> 1-1/8" is a pretty common size. The 1-1/4" -> 1-1/8" that you are looking for is rarer but it probably exists. Maybe the de-evolution from Chris King.

If you can find that part, the existing bearing can stay.

Also do some research on the Problem Solvers headtube reducer; you would just use the bottom piece. If you use this, you can use the existing crown race (and bearing obviously).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.