I have a single speed bicycle which has a spacer screw that controls the position of the rear wheel and hence the tension of the chain.

The screw goes through a small hole in the frame, which is threaded, and in to the drop out area. With the pair of screws at a level pegging, the proper position the wheel is assured and the chain tension is maintained.

What is the name of this part? I've bent one of my screws and need a replacement but can't find a hit on "rear wheel spacer screw."

1 Answer 1


Dropout adjustment screw. Here's a thread from the Bikeforums with some links and such to check:


Unfortunately they do not appear to be standard... You might try haunting more established shops to look through their old-parts boxes. Most hardware stores carry a very wide variety of metric fasteners; you might be able to find a suitable screw there

  • Or find an industrial bolt supplier. That's where bike shops get many of their bolts. You will pay a premium for a small quantity (like, one) but it will probably still be cheaper than the bike shop charges. And they will have it on the spot.
    – Мסž
    May 8, 2011 at 0:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.