I have a 2015 Salsa Colossal with a 44mm head tube. The upper cup is a ZS44/28.6 (1 1/8") and the lower cup is EC44/33 (1 1/4"). I need to punch out the cups, so I bought a Park Tool RT-1. It states that it works with 1" to 1 1/4" cups and Park's website explicitly says it works with ZS44 and EC44 cups. The problem is that the flared part of the tool passes right through the lower 1 1/4" cup and barely catches the upper 1 1/8" cup. I could direct the tool at one side and then the other, but I thought the main purpose of the tool is apply pressure evenly around the cup. Should I have bought the bigger RT-2?

1 Answer 1


The park tool RT-1 is the original headset cup removal tool for 1 1/8" headset cups.

park tool RT-2

The RT-2 oversized headset removal tool is the correct tool for 1 1/4 and larger cup sizes.

That said, the RT-1 can be used, when directed carefully, on 1 1/4" cups also.

In my opinion, Park is too liberal in stating what larger headset sizes the RT-1 can work with, but it isn't technically wrong.

Recently manufactured RT-1 tools have more flare to the ends than the older RT-1 did, which may account for the difference as well.

Depending on when and where you bought yours, you may have the pre-1 1/4" version. Either because it's new/old stock, or because it was used...

  • I must have had older stock of the RT-1 with less flare (makes me think of Office Space!). Park were nice enough to send me an RT-2 replacement (great customer service there). That does the trick, though I feel like it's probably a little bit too much flare for a 44mm head tube to be honest. Seems like the ideal tool is somewhere between the RT-1 and RT-2.
    – Ben Mills
    Apr 8, 2016 at 14:18
  • That often happens when the specs for a particle component fall on the edge of the specs for the tools. In this case either would work, but heather is perfect. :)
    – zenbike
    Apr 9, 2016 at 20:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.