So I am building my own trainer/stand for my bike but I am hung up on one part. What is the official term for the part that attaches to the hex bolt on the rear wheel?


2 Answers 2


In the manuals/parts lists I have seen, Schwinn and Blackburn refer to the part that envelopes the ends of the axle or quick-release skewer as a "cone". Minoura refers to it as a "grommet" at the end of a "coupling".

I don't have a Cyclops manual handy. I also don't think there is an industry standard name for this part, as there is some variation between all manufacturers when it comes to the coupling/mounting mechanism of their trainers.

  • It's also not a part thats generally purchased outside of a trainer.
    – Batman
    Commented Mar 17, 2016 at 0:23

I'd expect it to be called a cup, or a socket.

If you're making this yourself, consider a 6 sided socket and then weld a length of the beefiest threadded rod that fits through the square drive hole. On the bike, use axle nuts instead of a QR and allow the minimum unsupported amount of rod. You'll probably be using a burner back wheel and tyre anyway, not your good one.

To stop the socket undoing the axle nut, don't thread it through the stand, use a longish tube with thick washers and two nuts on either side. Would be a bit fiddly to do up, but its going to be more stable.

Or simply run a longish bolt through the square socket hole and into the support. It needs to be free to rotate a little but not to spin.

How do you intend on adding resistance to the system?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.