A family member will give me his old (high class) trekking bike. I like the bike a lot but would like to swap the steering bar for a road bike one, which I am used to and like a lot.

  • Is it possible to simply connect the Deore LX brakes to my 600 Tricolore road bike levers?
  • Is it alternatively possible to buy road bike brake/gear levers that can operate the trekking bike brakes and gears?

My question is similar to this one, but I am unsure if the answer applies. Plus, ultimately I'd like to replace the gear lever as well.

  • After reading around a bit, maybe a bullhorn with guidonnet brake levers would be easiest.
    – jshlke
    Commented Mar 28, 2016 at 20:41
  • 3
    Close as I can tell, Deore LX is a V brake, while the Tricolor is a conventional caliper. These are not compatible due to the difference in cable travel. In some cases one might replace the V brakes with cantilever brakes to make the Tricolor levers work, but there are a lot of buts. Commented Mar 28, 2016 at 21:06
  • Your questionsis also similar to this question: bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/37418/… and perharps the answers will make your option a bit clearer: Commented Apr 1, 2016 at 3:08
  • @DanielRHicks That's correct. And the "buts" make it quite difficult, but still the best option. Post it as an answer.
    – zenbike
    Commented Apr 2, 2016 at 14:13

2 Answers 2


You can increase the cable pull of a road lever to work with a V-Brake by using a Travel Agent

  • We don't know what type of brakes the OP even has. LX series is older than V brakes, and 600 is even older.
    – ojs
    Commented Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47
  • My googling suggested a Deore LX had at least 2 generations of V-Brake. Although granted the OP could have something older. But increased cable pull wouldn't stop the brake working, it would just make it more sensitive to use.
    – Andy P
    Commented Jan 30, 2019 at 10:53
  • Check bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/27115/… for how V brake levels work with brakes designed for shorter pull
    – ojs
    Commented Jan 30, 2019 at 12:10

You want to connect short-pull levers with long-pull brakes. If done directly, this won't work effectively as you won't exert enough force on the brakes to stop you effectively.
More on pull lengths can be found in What is the actual cable pull of brake levers?

You need some mechanism to increase the pull length, either the one mentioned in the answer to this question: https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/a/59105/34697 or some DIY mechanism inspired by How much cable can I pull with a brake lever in another custom mechanism, and how can I achieve it? - if you trust your DIY skills.

If you want to retain your road brake levers, which are short-pull, and pull-length conversion contraption is not an option, you need to get yourself some short-pull brakes. These can either be cantilever brakes (you will make use of the currently available brake bosses) or find suitable (called long-reach) caliper brakes (or their center-pull version).

Both options (changing the brakes or installing the pull-length converter) will allow you to later replace the brake levers with some brifters (road bike brake levers integrated with the derailleur shifters).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.