I have a Schwinn bike from probably mid 2000's. The front tire has a regular valve cap that I can twist off and pump with a floor pump. The back tire has an oval cap that I cannot get off. And it seems like it is attached onto a tube, not just a regular valve like the front tire. I can't pull off the cap or twist it off. Not sure how to get it off to pump the tire.

I don't bike a ton and am not sure if I am using the right terminology. It might be too vague but if anyone knows what I am talking about I appreciate the advice!

  • 3
    Picture? I've never heard of an oval cap. – Batman Mar 30 '16 at 20:29
  • This is a question that appears to have no duplicates. Thank you! Please use the edit link under your question, to post more information. A couple of good photos showing the valve up close would be really helpful. – Criggie Mar 30 '16 at 20:50
  • Sounds to me like the cap is either squashed and deformed, or its an aero one that is stuck on with some sort of adhesive. Third option is that its a novelty shaped cap that has been glued on or has been overtightened and the threads have deformed and got purchase on the body of the valve stem. Sounds like a case for pliers and brute-force. I've never seen a cap with left-hand thread, so its very likely a normal righty-tighty thread. – Criggie Mar 30 '16 at 23:03
  • 2
    @Criggie or in this case, ideally lefty-loosey – Nic Mar 30 '16 at 23:08
  • 1
    If all else fails, drag it to the nearest bike shop and have them figure it out. – Daniel R Hicks Mar 31 '16 at 2:08

Judging by your description you have two different tubes: one with Presta valve and the other with Schreder valve. Both should have protective plastic caps that should pretty easily come off. It might be possible that cap on the rear wheel valve is stuck so some pliers might help to unscrew it.

Regarding pumping tires, your floor pump should have adapter for both valve types so you should use one that fits.

Maybe, if you have pump for only one valve type, you could consider changing your tubes to be of the same type (that matches the pump). Anyway, it is recommended to change tubes because they get porous and leak air (especially if they are too old).

| improve this answer | |
  • I'm not seeing the oval even if one is presta or woods. – Batman Mar 30 '16 at 22:51
  • 2
    Tires (unless tubeless) don't hold the air in and can be porous with no effect. Tires hold the tube. The tube holds the air. – mattnz Mar 30 '16 at 23:00
  • My English is confusing sometimes :) I guess I've made mistake tire/tube. – False Identity Mar 30 '16 at 23:27
  • @Batman There are all kinds and shapes of valve caps - CRC has only a modest collection of what you can find on the internet :) – False Identity Mar 31 '16 at 1:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.