I have a Shimano Tourney rear derailleur that has an extension claw (hanger). I would like to replace it with a Deore M591. Do I need to install an adapter to make up the length of the claw? Someone told me I needed a shift index hanger plate. Does that sound correct?


If your frame requires a claw (i.e. doesn't have a derailleur hanger), you need to get the claw. Sunrace among others make them, and your local bike shop should have them laying around for about 5 dollars.

According to Jenson USA, the part from Sunrace is called a Index Hanger Plate.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.