I've got a '70s road bike with shift cables which work quite well and so I see no immediate reason to replace them, but the cable ends were not crimped with end caps and so they've frayed out to ridiculous levels. However, I can't just cut off the frayed end and re-crimp it because then my cables would be too short; Is there any way for me to "save" these cables and avoid having to re-cable the bike? Is there no way to "de-fray" the ends even if it doesn't leave them in "pre-frayed" condition?

  • 2
    New wires are quite cheap, so it might be easier to just buy new ones. You can still use the old housing. – user1049697 May 15 '16 at 17:10
  • 2
    you can tape them and solder the end – njzk2 May 15 '16 at 18:04
  • You can also re-wind the strands and use crazy glue so they don unwind again. – Baratier ErebusDuHalm May 16 '16 at 3:57

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.